Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Michelle Malkin's Immigration Rants

As one of the comments at Huffington Post said involving the Dunkin Donuts ad, "Why is malkin such a racist? I know she isn't white." to which one of the response was "The two aren't mutually exclusive. There is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is racism." This may be true but while not all right wing whites are anti-immigrants but so far all anti-immigrants have been right wing whites. Michelle Malkin is the only exception and the reason she is given so much visibility by the right wing media is because she lends credibility to the notion that it's not just whites who oppose (illegal) immigration. Some would even call her leading a PAC "Immigrants against Immigration". It might be interesting to note that Malkin is of Phillipino heritage and as some of the very right wingers who seem to echo her would call, "an anchor baby".

I do not support illegal immigration and I certainly oppose public welfare for the illegal immigrants but I believe the US needs a whole lot of unskilled labor and needs to find a solution to the current problems to maintain their lifestyle. The reason I bring this up is because there are particular elements in the lunatic right wing who are implicitly racist by demonizing immigrants of a particular region and especially target their rants on issues involving immigrants from South America, Asia and Africa. Not many Middle Easterners immigrate to the US but they tend to club all these immigrants and their issues together in their self-feeding rants. To them being illegal or legal is a small difference that gets ignored in their rants. I believe while they may not show that they oppose legal immigration, they will do nothing to improve it but will do every thing to attack the racial aspects of illegal immigration and there by implicitly malign all immigrants with those backgrounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I consider myself conservative and a big fan of immigration. I always liked the idea of the USA taking in talented, hard-working people from around the world to the loss of their restrictive, poorly run former countries.

Be careful about the terms you use to describe sides in this debate - many left wing people don't want immigration either because supposedly these immigrants are stealing jobs from average American workers (who typically vote dem).

I am not for totally open borders (I think only a fool would be) but having many friends with great skill and work ethic not able to get work visas is quite troubling to me. I commented about this topic (the immigration debate) on my blog here:

http://chrisgrande.com/2008/05/20/sorry-billy-but-punjab-is-not-stealing-your-job/

It's a bit direct, but I often write in this style. Keep up the good work on immigration discussion!

Chris